Wednesday, December 4, 2013

MicroAquarium Observation 4

Drew Bogert
11/5/2013


         MicroAquarium Observation 4

          To start my 4th observation, I visited room 507 in the Hesler Biology Building (McFarland, 2013)  on Tuesday, November 5, at 3:20 pm. I went over to the plastic tray that was the containing unit for the our aquariums, removed my aquarium carefully, and walked over to the Leica microscope with a Canon Rebel T3i attached to it. (I know a lot about cameras, you can ask Dr. McFarland). 

         "Leica Camera AG is an international company in the optical industry, with its            headquarters based in Solms, Germany, and a second location in Portugal" (Leica, 2009). I enjoyed this equipment setup much more than the previous one. I made a total of two      observations this week (11/5/13-11/8/12) and will post the next observation as blog #5. 

Here are two NEW microbiological organisms that I found on 11/5/13. 


*I found a very high quantity of the same organisms, so from here on out, I will only post new organisms. 






This 1st photograph is of a different 

species of 
water mite (says Dr. McFarland). I enjoyed this 
photograph because you can see the dark red 
color of the organism, unlike before. 
(McFarland, 2013)









The 2nd photograph is a picture of 
Diatomophyceae or Diatoms. I chose to
 include this photo because of the high 
number of diatoms visible. 

*ALSO* while looking at this picture, I noticed a unicellular amoeba with some blueish colored substrate within it's membrane. A very cool add to an already very cool picture. 





Bibliography: 

McFarland, Kenneth [Internet] Botany 111 Fall 2013. [cited 27 October, 2013]. Available
 from 
http://botany1112013.blogspot.com/





Moran, Mark. "Water Mite." Study of Northern Virginia Ecology. Fairfax County Public Schools, n.d. Web. [cited        27 Oct. 2013]. Available from http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/water_mite.htm.







Finished MicroAquarium


No comments:

Post a Comment